December 05, 2008

Thumbs down to turning 4!

IMG_4172

I do not know what turning four morphed my sweet little boy into, but he is no longer sweet and innocent.

Since turning four, and I mean literally since his actual birthday he has been a terror.

He throws tantrums over EVERYTHING. This is my kid who maybe threw 5 real tantrums his first three years of life. Now he probably averages 5 tantrums a day!

He is destructive. He lies. He whines all. the. time.

He argues everything. Especially cleaning up his room and playroom. The newest trick he plays when I tell him to make his bed and clean his room is to first complain, whine, and argue with me telling me he can't and that he doesn't want too. After telling him he can't come out until it is done. He then throws all his covers and pillows on his bed in a pile (his idea of "making" his bed).. Then throws all the stuff on the floor under the bed or pushes them to the side. (Because I told him I didn't want anything in the middle of the floor. I guess in his mind if it is against the wall, it isn't in the middle of the floor). ARGGH.

He tries to be sneaky and hide things.A couple weeks ago he got in trouble and Ryan said that he was going to take his giraffe away (this has replaced tiger). Eli went into his room before Ryan got there. When Ryan walked in he noticed Eli's giraffe wasn't on Eli's bed. So Ryan proceeded to the closet (one place he has learned to hide things, under his bed being the other). As Ryan was walking over there Eli asked him what he was doing. Ryan opened up the closet and sure enough there was Giraffe. Ryan picked him up and Eli says, "I should have hid him better huh, dad?" And that is my new Eli. Of course he doesn't see it as a bad thing hiding his giraffe he just saw that he didn't do a very good job hiding it.

What am I supposed to do with this kid?? I am literally going crazy. Nothing we do helps. We take his prized posessions away. He cries for a minute and then gets over it. We send him to his room. Again cries for a minute and gets over it. We take privilages away. He doesn't care. We tried the sticker chart where got a sticker every time he did something good, and could earn things. Problem is he's never good enough to get very many stickers, so then he gets bored with it.

Any suggestions? Or better yet, anyone want to take him and whip him into shape? But then you have to give him back when he is a perfect, polite, well behaved little boy.

PLEASE someone tell me this isn't going to last the whole 4 years. And if so please tell me 5 is better.

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry I have no suggestions for you. There are days I have to lock myself in my room so I don't hurt my son. and he's only 3. I guess we as parents just have to love them and take a time out for us. I also try to remind myself what Pres Monson said once, "kids have big spirits in little bodies and sometimes they just need some wiggle room" or something like that. Good luck. Pass any good advice along to me.

Key Fam said...

Yeah, they can definitely test us at times (all the time LOL!). Ashlyn says to us "you THINK SO?!?!" Errrr...makes me so angry! (among other things) But, she's almost 5, and I hear it doesn't get any better, I'm sorry :( Just wanted to let you know how I feel ya!

Tara said...

AHH-welcome to the "new world" of craziness with 4-5 yr olds. Alec is the same way and I'm going insane. Please have someone tell me when it will be over!

carrie said...

I thought the 3's were the hardest with ALL my boys....but every child is different. :o) My little Bo has always been so sweet...and he is by FAR my hardest child lately. He is the same way you're describing Eli. He is really sneaky, he lies to me ALL the time, and he doesn't respond to any form of discipline we've tried. It's so frustrating. Believe me, I know. I've felt like a really bad parent lately....'cause I lose my patience and end up screaming at him way too much. :o( Eli is a good boy....and he's so stinking SMART. He's probably just going thru a stage and testing you. Some kids are just better at it than others. :o) You and Ryan are great parents....so no worries. You'll be just fine. My new thing, by the way, is telling my kids they won't be getting anything for Christmas. Bo doesn't really understand what coal is....so it doesn't really work if I descibe it to him. It sounds a little too COOL to be a punishment for that kid. I've started telling him Santa might leave poo poo in his stocking...and THAT grosses him out, thank goodness. The only problem is.... When Santa asked him what he wanted for Christmas, Bo just kept saying, "I don't like poop." UGGHHH>..... See what a BAD mom I am?? ha ha HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow!! :o) I'll talk to you in about 24 hours. ha ha

Sierra said...

A friend told me the other day that she has inside information that those kids you see that are well behaved and sit still are being beat... I don't know if that is very constructive advice, but nothing I try works either.

Lindsay said...

Really? 4 isn't any better? 4 was a whole new and welcome world with my boys. I really don't know what to tell you, I have a 9 year old who acts just like that and I still haven't figured it out...

Anonymous said...

I think girls aren't any better, still going through what your going through with Myia. But you have to admit he is one cute kid. Hang in there girl. Happy early Birthday. I'll call ya, i think its time we go out and celebrate.

Anonymous said...

I think girls aren't any better, still going through what your going through with Myia. But you have to admit he is one cute kid. Hang in there girl. Happy early Birthday. I'll call ya, i think its time we go out and celebrate.

Larraine said...

Just wait until you are as old as I am. When you think back, you will only remember that they were perfect children ALWAYS! ha

. said...

I'd like to suggest "Parenting with love and logic". It saved the life of my kids. The legacy center has classes all the time. My mom teaches it also. There are books and video's on the subject too. You can borrow any of mine. Good luck to ya.

crazy christensen family said...

oh honey! Eli is a good kid, he just has to show you how bad it could be so you can appreciate him more in the future. Does that make sense? Anyway, Kaleb is 7 and he is coming around. I feel like I can trust him a lot more. Karly on the other hand just turned 5 and is a little stinker!!!