September 02, 2008

Our adventures in St. Augustine


Ryan's parents had some extra airline tickets so they so kindly flew us, and two of Ryan's siblings and their families to St. Augustine, Florida where we stayed at a condo on the beach.

We spent one day touring downtown St. Augustine. I have to admit it would be a nice place to go if I didn't have two very impatient, curios, loud kids with me. This was also the day that I realized just how difficult my son is (or was it that I realized what an impatient terrible mother I am?), and how I really have no control over him. In about 7 minutes of walking into the visitor's center he touched EVERYTHING in the gift shop, then tried to take decorations of the wall, attempted to climb on precious artifacts, and last but not least almost pulled the fire alarm. (Thanks grandpa for stopping that one). I stormed out of the visitor's center and was in tears in no time. And that is how day two of our wonderful vacation started. Needless to say after that I was not in such a good mood that day and honestly all I wanted to do was lock my kid in a closet and curl up on a couch and escape the reality of the day. Instead I pushed along, and really did have a good time once I convinced myself things really weren't that bad. I think I was just a little stressed and emotional. We spent the day looking through an old fort, saw some old buildings, looked in little shops, ate pizza, and had some yummy Gelato.

After going back to the condo and having naps the night actually ended pretty nicely. And the rest of the week was even better.

Most of the week we just relaxed and enjoyed the company of family. We spent a lot time at the beach boogie boarding, jumping waves, playing in the sand, and dodging jelly fish. We also played in the pool and of course did some shopping.

The nights consisted of playing cards, laughing, a little bit of Mario Kart.

It was so nice to go on a fun family vacation. The weather was perfect, the water was beautiful, and the company was entertaining. I love Florida. Every time I have ever been I have had so much. I think it is my favorite place to vacation.

I was also informed that I have "puffed out" a little since Ryan and I were married. Not really sure if that is a compliment, but thanks anyway Ed. :)

Thanks Ed and Timi for the fun vacation!

10 comments:

Stephanie F. said...

I could use a Florida trip :)
Love the pics! Your kids are pretty dang cute!

Tiffany said...

Classic vacation problems with kids. I totally relate and I'm sorry for laughing. Happy anniversary.

Lindsay said...

FUUUN! I have never been to Florida and I want to go SO bad! And Hallie is SO pretty! What a doll. Sorry about Eli, all I can say is that I can totally relate. I've been in tears many a times over Jameson!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am stressing a boy! But at least Eli is SO cute, huh?! Both of your kids are ADORABLE! Glad you had fun (for the most part) and got away....

Dave and Melissa said...

Less,
I can't believe you guys came out this way-yay! I love St. Augustine-beautiful. Looks like you had a great time!
Love,
Melissa

rain said...

You guys are SO lucky in your traveling adventures! It's like you're old retired people, already. You just have to start changing what you wear, and how you look. Maybe more of that "puffing out", and you'll fit the part, better. :)

janae said...

Oh, what a fun vacation! It's always stressful to take kids...especially the plane ride. But if you leave them home, then you worry and miss them. I'm anxious for my kids to get a little older and more manageable so we can do more.

carrie said...

I loved seeing all the fun pictures!! I love Florida, too... I can't wait to go again with my kids. I know they'd love it. I can totally relate to the frustration thing.... We ALL go through it, so don't worry about it. You're such a great Mom. Your kids are so stinking cute anyway.... It would be hard to stay mad for long. :o)

Sierra said...

I love St. Augustine! That's where I went for spring break in high school. it's actually the closest beach to Gainesville. THere's the coolest antique shop there with these old hats... I would also like to say that I too love muddy buddies. I can't get enough of them.

crazy christensen family said...

Welcome to the world of raising boys! They are such angels until about 18 months and then they start to show you how much fun they are. It really doesn't come out fully until about 2-2.5 but I guess Eli held out a bit longer. HA HA! I am really in for it cause I got triple trouble. It seems like you go to florida a lot! Good for you- vacation, vacation, vacation- that should be out motto!